When it was time to look for a place to rent in Chiang Mai, we were overwhelmed with the number of options available for short-term living. After looking through online listings, brochures, and magazines, we finally zeroed in our very first apartment in Chiang Mai: Ban Jed Yod. It is a modern serviced apartment just outside of Chiang Mai’s Old City and ended up being an excellent first choice while we settle into our new life in Chiang Mai.
In the time it used to take to complete our typical morning commute, we found an online review for the Ban Jed Yod serviced apartment (short-term furnished apartment that includes amenities for daily use), contacted the leasing office for their availability, scheduled a visit, and signed a three-month lease. Unbelievable. Thanks to Magic Travel Blog‘s very thorough and positive review, we were able to find a new apartment much quicker than we had initially expected.
Located about five minutes from the Old City on the northwest side of town, the Ban Jed Yod serviced apartments sounded appealing to us for the following reasons:
- Within our $300-$500 per month budget
- Able to accommodate month-to-month leases
- Fully furnished
- Equipped with several very nice amenities, including washer and dryer machines, a small restaurant and coffee bar, and free on site drinking water
- Conveniently located within a short driving distance of Chiang Mai University and some of the nicer shopping areas the city has to offer
We fell in love with the modern decor, the view of Doi Suthep, the beautiful pool, and the outdoor lounge area. We were impressed with the particular unit we viewed, and being that it was the only deluxe unit available, we signed a three-month lease for 10,000 baht per month, or $330.
Pros of Ban Jed Yod
- Furnishings included a California King bed with sheets and pillows, computer desk and plush chair, dining table and chairs, vanity, TV, shoe storage, and wardrobe
- Great decor lighting, seven generously sized windows, nice window treatments, and AC
- Clothes drying rack on balcony
- Excellent storage space
- Small indoor kitchen with a single stove top, fridge, microwave, and hot pot
- Bathroom with a stand up shower and a massive tub (unusual for Thailand)
- On-site pool with a great view of Doi Suthep
- On-site security (cameras, staff watching vehicles) and key access entrance
Ban Jed Yod was a great place, but to be fair, here are some of the things we found to be under par. However, most of these things were fixable one way or another or had a work around.
Cons of Ban Jed Yod
- The mattress was Thai firm – no joke!
- We had an ant problem
- Nighttime noise prevented us from opening the windows during the evening hours
- Few restaurants within reasonable walking distance
- Electricity is charged at 7 baht per unit, not the government rate of 5 baht per unit
- Not pet friendly (as we later found out…)
Ban Jed Yod was a great place for us to begin our lives in Chiang Mai. With it’s great amenities, modern look, and excellent price tag, we were happy, even if we couldn’t keep our windows open at night or had to buy a can of bug spray.
Ban Jed Yod is located off Yu Yen Road Soi 2 in Chang Phuak, just northwest of the Old City, and is best accessible by motorbike or car. It offers studio apartments (two twin beds or one king bed) for 10,000 baht per month or one bedroom apartments for 15,000 baht per month. A two month’s security deposit is required after a signed lease (in English).
Location and Contact Information
Address: 155/10 M.2, Soi Yu Yen, Chang Phuak, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Phone: (053) 221-777